Wednesday, June 11, 2003

Just a note to clarify that I still exist. Am in possibly biggest essay-writing-related rut of life.

Consequently, my last few days have involved a little more late-night TV than I think may be healthy. I'm talking infomercials, televangelists, sitcoms that never quite made it, even freaking Sunrise on Channel 7... that's right, staying up past 6am procrastinating - so sad, so sad.

Still, watching the Charlie's Angels (Liu, Diaz and Barrymore) on Rove tonight reminded me of a particularly inane conversation I watched on Big Brother Up Late the other night (yes yes, I watched Big Brother Up Late... the anticipation sucks me in. Of course I know that nothing's going to happen, but it doesn't stop me from waiting, just in case something does). I couldn't tell you who was involved - the conversation took place in the dark, and I don't know the housemates' names anyway - but it went a little something like this:

Housemate 1: I love Drew Barrymore. She's, like, the coolest person.

Housemate 2: Yeah, I know. She's just... cool, you know?

Housemate 1: Yeah, she is. I mean, to go through all of the stuff she's been through, and to still be cool... That makes her so cool.

Housemate 2: Yeah, I know... Like, the divorce and stuff... she's so cool.

Ah, priceless. Not much else to report, otherwise... Horrid essays moving rapidly down the charts, though Arnott's Hundreds and Thousands Biscuits are moving up. Pity I finished the packet, I could have one now...

Songs of the moment: The Breeders, "When I Was A Painter" (actually, I'm quite liking the whole of Pod, but this one gets a mention as it makes me panic at the end... start thinking that the drum fill/bass riff will never finish, that I'm stuck in some glitch in time...); The Smiths, "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" (have only recently been put onto the Smiths, suddenly it seems that they're the fashionable band of the moment - even Madonna was quoted as saying that she regularly strums along to songs by Radiohead, Neil Young and The Smiths); Tori Amos, "Spark" (the snippets of bass, piano and drum solo when she breaks and goes "how many fates turn around in the overtime" get me everytime... as a piece of trivia, she uses the same bass player as Beck and the same drummer as Fiona Apple); Madonna, "Deeper and Deeper" (one of the few songs restoring hope to my social contact-deprived little world at the moment).

I should probably read an article or something for this essay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home