Saturday, June 10, 2006

I detest I detest I detest, this zombie that I so easily become when the internet is within reach again. Procrastination. Deferral. Deferral of what? Deferral of ... Freedom? Or work? Hiding in the burrow of my study, assuming the pose of work-doing - hey, I'm at a keyboard - but looking at everything except the books next to me. The internet allows one to become passive, a conduit for text, with no need to ever engage a core, focussed thought-process. And so I become blank and numb when taken away from the computer after sitting for hours on end, sucking down everything that I can get my eyes and my clicks on. The world barely seems to be infront of me, after a long session. I have to drag myself everywhere, I become so dependent on stimulus - the act of clicking: 'give me more, give me more, postpone it a little longer, one of these pages must hold the answer'.

3 Comments:

Blogger Intolerable Tim said...

Catherine,

You cannot blame the internet!!!

It merely indulges something pre-existing in you, facilitates the worse ASPECTS of ones personality.

Your blog, despite being on the internet, does not indulge the worst aspect of your personality (even if it is on the web).

But mine does.

What are you writing on anyway? I'm studying for coprorations law, so I can only imagine how much more interesting your work is.

I am so sick of law...

1:39 pm  
Blogger Catherine said...

You're right, I have only myself to blame. Actually, I implemented some of the strategies from that Wikipedia article on procrastination (reading articles on procrastination in order to procrastinate - 'meta-procrastination'), and wrote 400 words before bed.

I'm writing that essay that was never finished a year and a half ago, on the extension of Freud's thought in Lacan's "The Mirror Stage". Lots of Freud. I'm also writing a summary on 'The Ego and the Superego'. After that there will be 2000 words on gender questions in Elfriede Jelinek's The Piano Teacher. And then 1000 words on the family structure in Kafka's "The Metamorphosis", with references to Deleuze and Guattari. And all by Monday. Suuuure...

3:37 pm  
Blogger Intolerable Tim said...

In our case, I can summarise 'The ego and the superego' in one word:

Rosannah.

7:42 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home