Sunday, September 17, 2006

Things in which I take a strange sort of pleasure

Or,

Work Blogging, part 2


1. Asking customers who have bought great mountains of items whether or not they require a bag for their groceries. It is more than clear that they do. What sort of person would even ask such a question, and yet remain impassive, as if it were sensible?

2. Arbitrarily deigning to observe the $5 minimum of EFTPOS transactions.

3. Going to great lengths to fit the greatest possible number of groceries into the smallest plastic bag that we have. Again, my expression is blank and my concentration befits that of a surgeon. The customer is confused.

4. Promenading down busy streets on sunny days while hungover, being bounced amongst pedestrians like a billiard ball, absorbing heat, colour and noise but not sense.

5. Hoisting up all my bags and parcels into a streamlined arrangement and then running like Lola for trains, trams. Adorno was right: it is alarming to see people running in city streets. But as I lope from pavement to pavement, threatening to twist my ankle because I can’t see the road in front of me in the dark, I feel, well, born to be alive.

6. Being disdainful of traffic.

-----

Theme song for the day:

Pet Shop Boys, “I Wouldn’t Normally Do This Kind of Thing”

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha can so relate -- the random policing of EFTPOS minimum rule. Watch them huff and whine, then buy some useless product they don't even want. Hurrah.

11:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home