Sunday, January 29, 2006

New The Knife album to be released in MarchSilent Shout. And from what I’ve heard of what’s leaked on the internet (thank you ILM), it’s very, very good. Emotional, distressed, kind of nuts, electro - though possibly not as immediate as Deep Cuts. The one that really presses my buttons, and which should be tracked down by all means, is “Marble House”. It’s snakey, futuristic, synthesised salsa which slithers through your ears and your chest. It's about denying to yourself each time you fall in love that you have been in love with someone else before this, that this is not as unique an event - even though you must believe this in order to be in love, and feel that you have found The One. I was listening to it while going for a run before and heard the words properly for the first time – it literally brought tears to my eyes and goosebumps to my shins.

Also to be watched-out for are a Knife-sound-alike group, Zeigeist. Their first offering, “F as in Knife”, is almost exactly what you would imagine a bootleg of Kate Bush's "Running Up That Hill" and New Order's "Bizarre Love Triangle" to sound like, if it was sung by Karin Dreijer. I can't recommend it enough.

Finally, if you want to hear the gayest song in the world, then have a listen to the Pet Shop Boys Maximix of Madonna's "Sorry". I know I've described the Rex the Dog mix of The Knife's "Heartbeats" as an entire mardi gras in one song, but I didn't mean that kind of mardi gras. I was thinking more New Orleans or Rio. This, however, has broad-shouldered men in little pink, fluffy shorts dancing on floats in Sydney. It is literally a monologue delivered by jilted poof to his unfaithful boyfriend after hearing of the latter's pill-induced philanderings at the Pride March afterparty. Remarkable.

The Man With Guitar Remix, meanwhile, is Stuart-Price-by-numbers. There's a link to both of them somewhere in the ILM Confessions on a Dancefloor thread.

2 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Apparently the Zeigeist track is actually called "Tarheart" - I don't really hear "Running Up That Hill" in it but everyone else does so maybe I've got the wrong track! I like it, whatever it is.

Catherine you need to hear Goldfrapp - "Ride A White Horse (Ewan Pearson's Disco Odyssey Parts 1 & 2)" - it's as good as it's title, almost!

6:33 pm  
Blogger Catherine said...

The melody line in the chorus is very similar to that of "Running Up That Hill", while it is the instrumentation that reminds people of "Bizarre Love Triangle".

Funnily enough, was halfway through downloading that Goldfrapp song when I read your comment. Will listen and report back.

2:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home