Thursday, May 03, 2007

Well, shame on me for doubting 2007's pop output! Because here it is: the anthemic r'n'b power hit of this year: Rihanna's "Umbrella". This song is gi-normous. It also manages to rhyme 'each other' and 'um-b-rella'. And! and! and! Do you remember those rumours that Beyonce's "Ring the Alarm" was actually about Rihanna, who'd been spending some time with Jay Z? Well, this is the song with his rap on it. It summoned the wrath of Beyonce's giant snare drum hit!

The clip seems cool too.

Whee. I'm inspired to make a high concept mix cd. Will post more details shortly.

[Update:] Ooh ooh ooh! Just spotted possible actual lyrical reference to Beyonce's aforementioned song: "You'll coming running to my arms / It's okay don't be alarmed..." Do you see? Do you see?

(Hey, I gave a paper on Lacan and Kristeva on 1 hour's sleep this morning after making my way to class despite a) apocalyptic rain and b) a train derailment. I think I'm entitled to a little cutting loose.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Guy said...

Yes, it is quite good indeed. Don't know about the beyonce reference, tho...

6:38 pm  
Blogger Catherine said...

What do you mean, 'not sure about it'? It's plain for all to see, surely, that Rihanna's "Umbrella" is actually a love song for Beyonce, isn't it?

(I've been listening to too much Tatu? What are you talking about?)

7:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home