Saturday, August 05, 2006

All I really want to do is listen to The Blue Nile's "The Downtown Lights" over and over again. The song is so sad, yet so beautiful - its pain is made into joy. Of late my penchant for 'pop songs at the abyss' (thanks Tim) has been hindered by my finding many songs too genuinely affecting. Girls Aloud's "Whole Lotta History", Gwen Stefani's "Cool"... The sentiments are sometimes just too accurate. So I listened to dubstep for awhile. Gentle, welcoming, emotionless dubstep. But I may be coming back to pop.

Sometimes I consider commencing my Honours year instantly, just to give myself something more interesting to make chit-chat about in boring conversations with strangers. For similar reasons, I decided against doing a subject on Ecofeminism when I was in third year. It seemed too much to explain. People might think that I wear biodegradable sanitary pads or something.

Aah. The downtown lights...


On High Rotation

Pet Shop Boys - Flamboyant (Michael Mayer Kompakt Mix)
Kym Mazelle - Young Hearts Run Free (now, let's not start reading this biographically)
Cassie - Me & U
Pinch - Qawwali
Japan - Gentlemen Take Polaroids
Lordi - Hard Rock Hallelujah (yes, the Finnish entry from Eurovision '06: Middle Earth trolls sing Spinal Tap-esque glam rock)
Beyonce - Deja Vu (almost 'too funky' - but it's grown on me. Good thing someone let the fire hyrdrant loose on Beyonce before she went kaboom at the end)
Luomo - The Present Lover
The Event - Boys (I'm going to make this stupid thing work if it kills me)
The Smiths - Bigmouth Strikes Again
Skream - 0800 Dub
Roisin Murphy - If We're In Love

1 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

Catherine I'm pleased that you like "The Downtown Lights" - a perfect song if ever there was one (as per our discussion with Guy the other day). The first two Blue Nile albums (A Walk Across The Rooftops and Hats) are both essential purchases. Search "Rags To Riches" from the former and "Saturday Night" from the latter.

6:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home